Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thoughts on Moving On

Time moves and people move with it. Be it from one crush to another, one city to another, one job to another, one hair style to another or for that matter from one waist size to another...... We are moving on....

I was born in Kuwait and spent most of my life there. I had great friends in school back then....... Is it me or does everyone else remember those days as the best of our lives? The times when we used to day dream in a group, irritate teachers in a group, go to tuitions in a group, study in a group, go to church in a group and do what not in a group?

When Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1990, my Parents were forced to leave everything they had. Everything they owned suddenly became worthless. I was 6 yrs old then. I lost touch with my classmates and it had happened so early in my life that I don't remember who were my classmates back then. Chances are that I might have met them sometime later without realizing that he/she was my classmate in Kinder garden or 1st Standard. Who knows?

Do you remember how it felt on the day you saw your school friends for one last time..... The day you had to move on and start studying elsewhere??? Wasn't that the most weird feeling? We all promised to stay in touch, but Alas!!!!!! Things don't work out the way we want them to. At best we lose touch........ and at worst........ the friendship loses its significance exponentially. It has happened to me and Im sure it has happened to many of you. Wasn't there a friend you thought you'd be friends with forever and now although u know his/her whereabouts... U just cant be bothered?

Same goes for work colleagues..... I had great ones in London..... We laughed, danced, partied, drank, ate together....... at times when we were too drunk to go home.... we slept in the office together!!!!! And then one day came when I had to decide if I wanted to do more in my life. The decision I took came at a price. I would be far away from some of the best friends I ever made. I could no longer hang around with them anymore, could no longer talk to them as often and could not see them as often. On the last day of work, I nearly had tears in my eyes. It was too much to digest, but hey...... we all have to make those tough decisions.... for me it was a matter of survival in my field of choice..... I had to move on.....

Now, I could be in touch with any one of them. But something has changed. I'm not attached to them as much as I used to be..... I feel bad..... but then.... now i know what has happened... any guesses???

When I left London for Bangalore.... I was lucky to have 2 of my very close friends in Bangalore who could accommodate me. Us along with few of their college mates had some of the greatest times in Bangalore. We lived together, visited places together, head-banged to 'Freebird' together, sang rock songs in pubs together, had lots of 'daaru parties' together and did so many other things together. Now again the time has come for us all to move on. Soon we will be at different places and God alone knows if we will ever be as close as we are now again.

I wrote this blog cause I wanted all my friends whom I have lost touch with and who were once close to me to know..... I haven't forgotten you guys... your friendship is still highly valued..... As the world is round, We will meet again.... until then..... Keep moving :)



1 comment:

Pamela Q Fernandes said...

so ur saying its okay to value firends but let them be as they are where they are.....u dont need to or want to know if they're ok or not....good friends wouldn't come to you if they had a problem you know..... and even if the world is around not everybody is moving....tc joel.....seems like ur far out......gudday...;->